Friday, October 28, 2011

Brand New



I love this album. I first heard it when I was a lowly ninth grader starting out my high school tenure at Oneida High School in Oneida, NY.  A new friend, Holly, introduced us. I think I fell in love almost immediately.  This is probably one of my favorite albums of all time, if the truth be told.

Brand New is a great band. I love the overlapping vocals, something that's akin to Straylight Run or Taking Back Sunday. But, if you knew either of those bands, it would be pretty silly to not know who Brand New is.  I've actually seen both of those bands live, but not Brand New. I was at their show once, but I went with the man who later became my husband for their opening act mewithoutYou.  Then once mewithoutYou was done, he wanted to leave. I got to hear 1 song by one of my favorite bands of all time. This album is just rad. The songs are mostly catchy, and the lyrics are genius. 




They followed it with another amazing album, Deja Entendu . I don't know if I can really compare them. It's almost like apples and oranges. Deja is mellower and darker, but still unbelievable. There are lines in these songs that make goosebumps on my brain.

They've had two albums since, and I haven't heard anything off the new one. But, their 3rd album The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me was not my favorite. I really didn't like the dark icky sounds on that album at all, so I just stick to the albums I do love.

Brand New is definitely worth a listen.  Give it a try.
This song is called "The Quiet things that No Ever Knows" - from Deja Entendu

No comments:

Post a Comment