Monday, October 31, 2011

Tangled - Disney


Today, I'm going to write about Tangled, Disney's 50th animated film. I did not go see this movie in the movie theaters, but I should have. I watched it a few weeks ago on Netflix instant queue and have watched it like 5 times since, and I listen to songs off the soundtrack a couple times a week.

The story of Rapunzel isn't exactly groundbreaking, but I like this twist. Supposedly a long long time ago, a flower with magical healing powers grew from a drop of the sun that fell from the sky. A naughty crone, Gothel, found it and has been using it for centuries to keep herself young. After time, a kingdom is built, and we see a sick, pregnant queen, and her greiving husband, the king. The people of the kingdom go searching for the mystical flower and find it, thus healing the queen.

Rapunzel is born with beautiful blonde hair, and Gothel realizes that the mystial power of the flower has moved to Rapunzels hair, and that it must not be cut. She kidnaps Rapunzel, locks her in the tower, and treats her like her own daughter that she wants to protect from people who would harm her for her hair. Enter a thief, Flynn, who Rapunzel wants to use in order to see the floating lanterns that the king and queen raise into the sky every year on the missing princesses birthday. After they leave the tower, adventures ensue, and eventually love.

While this isn't exactly a unique story, I still loved it. It was funny. Rapunzels pet chameleon is hilarious, and even the horse Maximus is great. I was laughing so much during this show, and even crying near the end.

Song, wise, I think it's great, too. Mandy Moore has a great voice, and always has, so she lends it beautifully to this project. A couple of the songs are forgettable, but that's the usual Disney way. Others are heartwarming, super cute, and definitely spot on.

I didn't watch this show because my kid wanted to watch it. He couldn't have cared less. I watched this over and over again because it was cute, funny, and just generally heartwarming. I think that Disney did a great job for it's 50th flick.

The box office agrees, according to Wikipedia: "Worldwide, it is the 15th highest-grossing animated feature ever released,[38] the eighth highest-grossing film of 2010 and the third largest animated title on that list behind Toy Story 3 ($1.063 billion) and Shrek Forever After ($752.6 million). It is also the third Disney film appearing in 2010's Top Ten.[39] Finally, it is the second highest-grossing film worldwide produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios, trailing only The Lion King ($868.9 million).[40] "

I've decided to include a little snippet from my favorite song in the movie:

No comments:

Post a Comment