Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Girl of Fire and Thorns - Rae Carson

Cover     
My first review on the new site!  I read this book this week. Took me 2 days, one of those was of me up in bed for an extra 3 hours because I couldn't put it down. It was fast and slow at the same time. The events moved quickly, but the build-up took a bit.  It's author Rae Carson's first book, and it's set to be book 1 of 3 in a series.  This book is written in the 1st person narrative, which is something I usually shy away from, but the author does it quite well. In fact, if I didn't know there were horrible 1st person narratives out there (cough...Twilight), reading an example this good might make me want to read more.

This book is about Elisa, who is fat (girl after my own heart), but still a princess. She's also God's chosen, evidenced by the multi-faceted gemstone, called Godstone, embedded in her belly button (or somewhere in her stomach, I always envisioned her belly button).  So, she knows that at some point, she'll probably be pushed into doing some sort of heroic thing, but she can't really be bothered with that.

She travels a ton in the book, first to her new home after her wedding, then across the desert a few times with a revolutionary band of fighters she comes to lead.  Magic and romance ensue, as Elisa finds someone that twists her heartstrings like her kingly husband never would. They are up against dangerous foes, and it looks like Elisa's time to be called into service is on the horizon. 

This book is really about figuring out who you are, and realizing that you still have control over your choices, even if destiny calls you a certain way. Elisa's strong perspective makes her a lovable character, even if she never thought of herself that way. Many girls can relate to 16 year old Elisa, even if her struggles and eventual achievements seem larger than life.  It's a great read, and I'll be anxiously awaiting the next installment.


eight / ten

No comments:

Post a Comment